Sunday, November 06, 2011

Talk To A Veteran

Make sure you pick up The Oxford Journal this week. I think I've written one of the most significant pieces of my writing career and in this context, I'm sorry it didn't happen sooner.
After writing up my conversation for the November 9 issue, I realized the paper would come out two days before Remembrance Day. As difficult as it is for me to "deal with" war, I knew I had to have a conversation with a veteran. I had to talk to someone who really did have to "deal with" it. I'm so very glad I did. My sincere thanks to Vernon Mitchell who revisited those horrible days of "pure hell" in 1944 and 1945 with a stranger. His experience is worth reading and remembering.
And this is what I realized: Everyone must talk to a veteran at least once in their life. Do it soon because there aren't many veterans of World War II left. You won't be regret it. Nor will you forget it.

1 comment:

  1. Good item, Ms. Mattinson...so few of these men and women left.We can never repay what we owe them..........bob miller, riverview, n.b.
    (signed anon because i don't know how to deal the other options)

    ReplyDelete