Sunday, May 26, 2013

Buy-Local Ties A String Around My Finger

Purely by accident, we ate more locally tonight than we usually do this time of year. It was by accident because I grabbed ingredients for Greek salad at our small-town grocery store which I just assume carries the cheapest stuff shipped in from the States by the mother company.
We were having lamb sausage (NS meat) and that required Greek salad -- I was sacrificing local for theme.
I knew the feta would be local because they carry a Nova Scotia-based one and I make a point of choosing it but imagine my delight when at home I started peeling stickers of the tomatoes and cucumbers to discover they were grown in this province.
It was a nice surprise but it also makes me aware that I'm not looking at labels when I shop.
Reminds of Barbara Kingsolver's excellent book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, in which she and her family take a vow to buy only food raised in their own neighbourhood, grow it themselves, or learn to live without it.  Time to read it again and be inspired.

http://www.kingsolver.com/books/animal-vegetable-miracle.html


No comments:

Post a Comment