Friday, May 30, 2014

Evening Ritual



Until the vegetable gardens are planted, the chickens get the run of the back yard every evening.
My husband says they have a perfectly good pen to roam around in but it's not enough for me; just as I'm fussy about keeping their water clean, I like to know they are getting to really stretch their legs and find fresh grass and grubs for as long as they can. There is nothing lovelier than the sight of chickens wandering contentedly around a yard. For some reason, my hens love the ditch that runs around the property and I listen to their happy berking while they hunt for something delicious in the moist ground. You know, the chickens are enclosed all summer, until after the harvesting is done, so a couple of hours each evening between winter and late spring makes me feel like I'm showing some gratitude for the eggs they provide every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment