Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A Dog's Life 7


Of all the habits I have, both good and bad, the habit of the early morning walk is the most entrenched and the most important. Abby is the third dog I've walked through life with, on pavement and dirt, in rain and sun, through traffic and fields, but the constant is always the morning walk. For 19 years, my best days begin with a walk first thing in the morning with a dog.
Whenever I need to express something in poetry, I turn to the American poet Mary Oliver:
Every morning 
the world
is created.
Under the orange
sticks of the sun
the heaped ashes
of the night
turn into leaves again...
If it is your nature 
to be happy
you will swim away along the soft trails
for hours, your imagination
alighting everywhere...

(Excerpts from Mary Oliver's "Morning Poem")

No comments:

Post a Comment