Thursday, September 17, 2015

Overwhelmed With Words

See my name in the column on the right.
This is one of the reasons my photo-a-day (ish) has fallen off the rails recently. Writing! 'Cause it's what I do best.
Each evening I think, "I will write on the blog first thing, before any other work gets done," because that's when the day and my brain are fresh, when my ideas are plump and my words ripe.
But between the sun coming up later, delaying my morning walk, and the large pot of coffee waiting for me when I get back, I don't seem to get upstairs to my office as early as I expect. Best intentions: 9 a.m. Reality: 10:15 a.m.
Sometimes I am even distracted by chores. Which reminds me, I have to bring in a load of laundry from the clotheline! Now that the sunshine has returned, so too has the process of creating clean clothes.
But what comes first is the writing. I write church messages then I write my bi-weekly Field Notes column. I'm editing essays for a book collection and I wrote a children's book that won a contest.
This is my version of farming: I've planted seeds and I've weeded and watered and now I'm poking around the fields to see what is ready to harvest. Hard work and hope - what farmers and writers have in common.

*I posted a small excerpt from the opening of my winning manuscript on my Facebook page along with a couple of photos that illustrate a couple of things mention on the section. Check it out via this link:
https://www.facebook.com/sarajewellmattinson/posts/746205785526081


No comments:

Post a Comment