Friday, August 25, 2017

Sherpa Granny


My friend Jane has traded in her goat fondling credentials to become a sherpa for her 14-month-old granddaughter, J.
I took a morning off -- I'm easily persuaded to do that -- in order for us to walk Oxford's portion of the TransCanada Trail and check out the new tunnel put under the main road into town. Tomorrow is the official opening of the tunnel so I wanted to see if there was an easy way to reach the tunnel in order to snap a photo for my community correspondent report on CTV Morning Live on Monday.

We haven't walked this trail together in a very long time, Jane and I, and halfway across the bridge, I realized why my dog was so agitated: We've lost our access to the river's edge where our dogs could take a break mid-walk, get into the water, cool off, chase sticks, and get a drink. Until the bridge was installed, this was our turnaround point, and I knew the bridge would affect that.
This river pause was such a part of our walks for the last couple of years, and such an enjoyment for the dogs, that I may have to carve a secret trail down to our spot on the riverbank. Abby's disappointment at not being able to reach the water was heart-breaking. It's a shame, yet typical, that progress for many leaves a few short-changed of peace and pleasure.


No comments:

Post a Comment