Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Welcome, August


August has always been my favourite month - likely because when I was nine, we started spending part of the month in Nova Scotia. This month has deep associations with a place that makes me happy and fills me with a feeling of peace and a sense of belonging.
Here's a poem I wrote a couple of years ago about August:

Welcome, August.
This month brings 
sweet memories of 
Nova Scotia;
as a child,
as a teen,
as an adult.
Hearing the call
of the red sand and the blue-grey waves,
slicing through misery
like a seagull through azure sky.
on the other coast.
Lost then found,
west then east,
alone then together.
Always, 
this is the first
and the last place
we come to
when we need to be 
home.
A hay bale
marks the moment
we arrive
where we are meant to be,
in August.
~ Sara Jewell


No comments:

Post a Comment